4 Creations 4 continents – PUPPETt.NET network: “When youth reinvents heritage”. December 9-21 in Amiens, France.
PUPPETt.NET is an European network dedicated to the issues of transmission and training of young artists in Europe. It is also an approach to networking and professionalizing in the field of puppetry for young people with a wide range of backgrounds (self-taught, professionalizing students, public mediators, etc.) . PUPPETt.NET’s partners are the Tas de Sable – Ches Panses Vertes (Amiens, France), UNIMA and its Europe Commission (Charleville-Mézières, France), THE TOPIC (Tolosa, Spain), SYNKOINO (Veria, Greece) and the Festival of Göttingen PuppetTheatre (Germany). It is supported by Amiens Metropole and the Ministry of Culture (France – DGCA’s Office for European and International Action).
PUPPETt.NET aims to bring together young European professionals around:
- A cycle of training on traditional techniques (2018-2019)
- An artistic creation that is an integral part of the process, with creative residencies with our partners in France, Germany, Greece and Spain and which will be presented in Bali in April 2020 at the next UNIMA Congress (2019-2020)
- Time for exchanges and sharing experiences, foreshadowing the establishment of a European network of training and companionship
PUPPETt.Net is closely linked to the actions organized by UNIMA as par of its 90th anniversary celebrations, around youth and heritage: 4 creations of a version adapted from Marcos Nicolaïewsky ser’s text are going to be presented by young puppeteers from Europe, America, Asia-Pacific and Africa at the Bali Congress in April 2020. It will be an exceptional opportunity to meet all the participants present at the Congress.
The European creation will be led by Sylvie Baillon, director of the Tas de Sables – Che Panses Vertes. In order to select the team of young Europeans who will present this creation in Bali, we are organising a laboratory residency from 9 to 21 December at the Tas de Sable in Amiens. It will be conducted as follows:
- Monday, December 9 to Saturday, December 14, 2019: workshop “From dramaturgy to puppet or object staging”, directed by Sylvie Baillon – 15 participants
At first on the same text the participants will make sketches of staging according to a point of view. The spoken word remains on the set or not? What are the questions for a coherent whole? We will also organise visits to the Théâtre de Ches Cabotans (tradition in Amiens) the circus and the Cathedral of Amiens.
At the end of this week 8 people will be invited to continue the laboratory residency.
- Monday, December 16 to Saturday, December 21, 2019: Work begins on Marcos Nicolaïewsky’s text Customs: different explorations, sound work, constructions, rehearsals, light work.
At the end of this second week of laboratory, a team of 4 people including different skills of the puppeteer (construction, interpretation, light and sound technique, assistant to the staging) will be selected to continue the European creation Customs in April 2020 at the UNIMA Congress in Bali.
In addition to selecting the participants of the 4 creations 4 continents project, the objectives of these two weeks are:
- Training by confronting cultural practices and approaches around traditional techniques and their professional exploitation.
- Work collaboratively on tools to highlight the particularity of these means of writing on the board.
- Contribute to a common framework that highlights the specificity of the puppeteer’s profession, practices and know-how
Cost of participation: the workshop is free. The lunches are taken care of by the Tas de Sable.
Others on-site expenses are borne by participants during the first week.
For the participants invited to stay during the second week, meals and accomodation are taken care of by the Tas de Sable – Che Panses Vertes.
Working language: French, English
How to register and selections criteria
Open to puppeteers and other professionals in the living arts, education and social fields who have an active practice of puppetry / Having between 18 and 35 ans
Please send us:
- A page (no more) presenting elements of your journey and your motivations to participate.
- Add, if you wish, 2 or 3 photos of your artistic universe.
Deadline: November 15, 2019
Selected individuals will be informed the week of: November 21, 2019
Information on European creation
For the team of 4 people selected to participate in the European creation, there will be 3 periods of creative residencies to be planned in Germany, Greece and Spain and one week in April for the Congress in Bali:
- February 17-23: European Creative Residence 1, Gottingen, Germany
- March 4 to 10 : European Creative Residence 2, Veria,Greece,
- April 4 to 10 : European Creative Residence 3, Tolosa, Spain, TOPIC
- April 12 to 19: Creation at the UNIMA Congress in Bali
The schedule is likely to be changed, it will be final at the laboratory residency in Amiens.
To follow the news of the PUPPETt.NET network, sign up for the newsletter on theUNIMA website. Https://www.unima.org/en/newsletter